Perugia

Perugia

martedì 21 settembre 2010

What a beautiful day to learn English!

Fall has definitely arrived in Florence. If I were in Charleston or Chapel Hill right now it would still probably be 85 degrees outside and humid. Instead, I am enjoying crisp fall weather, a beautiful breeze, and wearing my new Italian trench coat. What could make this beautiful day any better? The fact that I am now giving English lessons to five Italian bankers!
How did I secure this new job you may ask? I have a new colleague at the school who told me that her friend Fabrizio was looking for English lessons for himself and a few of his colleagues. I told her that I had never really given English lessons before, but I had translated a lot between my sketchy Pugliesi friends and my sorority sisters, as well as attended a lot of tandem language exchange sessions, so I was up for the challenge. Fabrizio and I set up a meeting for us today at the bank. I came prepared with my English grammar book, thinking it would just be him and that we would discuss how to set up the lessons, then ask his friends if they were interested. Instead, I was led into a big meeting room where 4 more very vocal Italians showed up to discuss our meetings (they are hilarious!). What we have decided to do is meet for lunch next week (since everything in Italy revolves around food) and have a preliminary chat, where I will decide what level everyone is at with their English. I will then divide them into groups and we will have differeng lessons based on if they fall into beginner or intermediate English. After we decided all of this I was rushed out of the bank, but not before they asked me if I was British, to which I replied no, which they liked because they would rather have American accents.
Beautiful weather, new teaching opportunities and the prospect of having non-creepy Italians to speak with is getting this day off to the right start!

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento