Perugia

Perugia

giovedì 9 settembre 2010

Three days of Creepers, Part II

Okay, so Monday was my first day of teaching here in Florence. I got up early to make sure I looked my best and that I was prepared to teach, since I hadn't taught since April. I rode my bike over to school and sat down with my students in the classroom, then totally surprised them when I eventually stood up and walked to the front of the room and started speaking Italian. It was hilarious, they were all like "wait, you are our teacher, no way". Anyhow, class went well, and my MW class only has 7 students. So after class, one of my 2 boy students walked with me to another one of the buildings on campus, and we ended up grabbing a cappuccino together. He is a great kid, who wanted to discuss Dante with me (I told him I was an expert after having Cervigni), told me the whole reason he chose to study in Italy was because of Hemingway's book "A Farewell to Arms", and taught me about how football really isn't that boring if you think of it in terms of chance. Bright kid, definitely would hook him up with one of my friends. So having coffee with this kid wasn't really creepy, but also toes the line of student/teacher relations. I mean obviously, we didn't go out drinking together and he didn't really hit on me, but he would like to hang out more. Sometimes I find being a TA such a weird position because if I had met this kid normally, I know we would totally be friends and I would call him to hang out and do things with me here. But can I really do that if I'm his teacher, even though I'm only one year older than him?
Alright, so the rest of Monday was pretty boring, but Tuesday, whoa, that is where the creepers reappear. So I go to the school library to use their internet, since my chiavetta here is as bad as dial-up internet from 1997. I end up meeting these two really cool guys who are my age and work for this company here in Florence that takes American study abroad students on guided trips to Greece and Morocco. They told me some cool places to go in Florence and promised to call me to go out sometime (which would be great). So after I leave the library to go tutor, I'm walking down the street and here someone calling "Aspetta, aspetta!" (which means wait). I turn around and it is a young construction worker coming out of the building next to the library. He ends up asking me what I'm doing that night and I told him nothing, just teaching, and he asked me to go out with him. I gave him my number because I really just wanted to get out of my apartment, and by this point I didn't care who it was with. So I tutor and teach, go home to eat dinner, and who ends up calling but the worker. He asks me if we can meet up for a drink, so I go meet him at the duomo, where of course some random parade was going on (this was an actual parade, not a religious ceremony). Anyhow, the guy shows up with a friend, they are both quite friendly, and they take me to this pub called The Lion's Fountain. We are walking to the pub and they are asking me all sorts of questions about where I'm from, what I'm doing in Italy, etc. I ask them where they are from, and they tell me some town I've never heard of. I ask them what it's close to, and they tell me "Yugoslavia and Serbia". I'm like wait, what? They were both from Kosovo, but have been living in Italy for a few years. So I'm out with not straight up Italian creepers, but Eastern European ones. We get to the pub, and the one that asked me out turns mute and is smoking like a chimney. I can't stand awkward silence, so I just start blabbing away about my life, and how I love soccer and Luca Toni, and creepy Italian stories. My cousin Anne Elizabeth ends up meeting us there and I turn into translator between everyone, but the awkwardness becomes even worse, so I faked that I had to get on skype and Anne E and I slipped away. I was happy to get out of my apartment and actually go for a drink, and the guys were nice, but I doubt I'll be hanging with them anymore, especially when towards the end of the night they decided to speak only in their language (Kosovonian/Serbian?). I can't wait to go out with normal people!

1 commento:

  1. Kate Kate guess who is going to start taking Italian?!? By the time we come visit I might be able to communicate with the local creepers myself. Glad to hear that you say a parade! Me too!

    RispondiElimina