Perugia

Perugia

giovedì 21 aprile 2011

MTV ITALIA TRL Awards: A Night of Utter Confusion

I was very excited because Florence was chosen to host this year's TRL Big in Italy Awards. The concert was absolutely free, in the middle of Piazza Santa Croce, right by my apartment, so I was so going. I mean, how could I miss seeing such Italian greats as Marracash and Modà, as well as some apparently popular English speaking artists, such as Mads Langer and Alexis Jordan? I went after class yesterday to scope out the scene, which was already somewhat crowded at 5:45, and decided to go home, eat, and drop off my junk before I situated myself in a perfect viewing place for the show. I ended up meeting up with my student and fellow CofC Phi Mu, Kristen and her friends and we braved the crowds to secure our spot. At first the crowd wasn't as horrible as I thought it was going to be, but my new friend Lauren decided that she wanted to get closer to the stage, so we turned into Italians and pushed our way closer (see my post on "la fila"). All the teenage Italians around us decided they were going to push their way forward too, and we joined this clump of confusion, where we were pushed in every direction and had to "backbutt" (if such a term exists) to stop people from holding onto our backs trying to push themselves closer. Besides almost falling backwards multiple times, having my feet stepped on, and being afraid this girl was going to put her cigarette out on me, I guess the concert was cool. It was actually really hard to hear what was going on, especially because all the teenage boys around us where shouting "dai cazzo" imitating the hosts (the people from the stupidest show ever, I soliti idioti) and telling Marco Carta to go..., well you understand. I was very excited to get to see some of my favorite Italian acts, Marracash, Zero Assoluto, Nathalie, etc. I even got to see Montolivo, one of the players from Fiorentina, present an award. Did we stay for the whole show? No, instead, after 2 hours of being pushed by the mobs and fearing for our lives, we made a chain of linked hands and shuffled our way to the Scottish Pub to decompress. MTV, for future reference, you may want to control the crowds a bit, but I mean, what am I saying, these are Italians we are talking about, and they really don't know how to organize, so I just know for next time I'd probably have a better view, and a better time, watching from the comfort of my home.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento