Perugia

Perugia

giovedì 17 febbraio 2011

Perugia Ponderings

This past weekend I went to Perugia with a few friends to celebrate my friend Charlie's birthday, as well as the rest of my friends who have February birthdays (and me). Being back in the city where I studied abroad is always a bit bittersweet for me. I have now been back to Perugia 3 times since Spring 2007 and every time I have a feeling of extreme happiness to be back in the place where I truly fell in love with Italy and made the decision to make a career out of Italian studies. It is also kind of weird though because none of my friends that I was originally there with are with me, so when I go with people who have never been to the city, I want them to be just as excited as I am, which is pretty hard to be. Anyhow, this time I was lucky enough to go with a fellow Umbra Institute Alum. My friend Charlie studied in Perugia 2 years before me and he still loves the city just as much as I do. I feel that he and I both agree it is the perfect setting for study abroad.
While in Perugia we did many of the same things that all students at Umbra do. We went and bought beers at the shady store in Piazza IV Novembre and drank on the steps. We went for a passeggiata down Corso Vanucci. We ate pizza and drank red wine, and then continued on to the awesome bars that are scattered through the center. But the city isn't exactly the same as when I was a student there. For example, after our pizza dinner (which was about a 3 hour adventure, including free prosecco and french fries, as well as birthday pie) we ventured to this bar that Charlie and I had both enjoyed going to called Il Birraio. Back in the day, Il Birraio was a pretty chill bar, dark, with low wooden tables and large cushions to sit on. The menu was in Italian, with horrible English translations, and there was a giant stuffed camel in a corner. Well folks, Il Birraio has now been updated and is probably one of the more trendier bars I have ever been too. The walls are painted a stark white, and there are a lot of blue accents and lighting. There was a spotlight on one wall where the shadows of a mobile reflected people who looked like figures from Dia de los muertos. Super trendy and uber crowded! It was still cool going there, but definitely not the same as when I went for my 21st birthday celebration and ordered a "southorn coumfert" off the menu.
Being in Perugia also brought up the topic that most people currently associate with the city, the Amanda Knox trial. I have found out recently, through my reading of Perez Hilton and many messages from my friends, that there is going to be a Lifetime movie about the murder trial starring Hayden Panettiere. My opinion on this movie: bad idea all around. First of all, Amanda Knox is still trying to appeal her case, even though she has been sentenced to 26 years in Italian prison. Even though the Italian media is trying to prevent this movie being shown in Italy, Italians have the internet and will be able to get access. Italians are heavily influenced by media portrayals, Berlusconi being the perfect example. So this movie could have an effect on the trial. Also, poor Meredith Kirchner's family. I mean, I have seen stills from the movie online and they reenact her entire murder. That is just awful! My last complaint is that the movie will probably put Perugia in a bad light again. Perugia is a safe city, as well as beautiful and friendly. There is a large student population, since it is Italy's closest thing to a college town, so of course there is going to be drinking and drugs, but it is definitely not out of hand. I would still recommend Perugia over studying abroad in Florence any day. I mean, I have been mugged in Florence, which is supposed to be one of the safest cities in Italy. So I hope Americans do not get the impression that Perugia is some shady, low-life town, because it is far from that.
So these are many of the thoughts that have been going through my mind since my trip to Perugia. The weekend was a ton of fun, and I got to visit the new buildings of the Umbra Institute, walk by my old apartment, and eat pizza at Quattro Passi. I will always have fond memories of the city and will continue to think of as the perfect study abroad destination.

2 commenti:

  1. oh the soco...that was by far one of the greatest nights there. glad you enjoyed going back!

    RispondiElimina
  2. also, i'm kinda pumped for that movie cause i'm a sucker for lifetime movies, but totally agree that it's going to completely impact her appeal - hopefully (for her) hayden panettiere does a really good of portraying her as innocent.

    RispondiElimina