Perugia

Perugia

lunedì 8 novembre 2010

The Grand Tour Part II: Berlin

Sorry the description of the 10 day journey is taking longer than 10 days, but life is back in full swing here in Florence.
So after being in beautiful Prague, we woke up and drove for 6 or 7 hours to Berlin. Honestly, Berlin was the city I was least excited about on this trip because I really had no interest in Germany, since I find the language so harsh. I would like to say Berlin may have been my favorite city on the trip, and I know it was Andy's. Berlin is awesome! It is humungous, with of course a very efficient public transportation system (this is Germany). Our hostel, Plus Berlin, was great. Andy and I lucked out and were given a private room with it's own bathroom, which was fabulous. We arrived in Berlin late in the afternoon, so not enough time to go out on the town yet, but Andy and I got ready for the Berlin nightlife by eating a kebab (we went looking for curry wurst, but could not find a stand. We joined the group for a pub crawl around Berlin, mainly because we only had one night in the city and we kept hearing how bizarre Berlin bars and clubs are. I will say Berlin has some of the best nightlife I have ever encountered. We started the night at this bar that I felt was a mix of Fuse and He's Not Here in Chapel Hill. I would call it the equivalent of a hipster bar, with random band posters on the wall, a sculpture that lit on fire every 15 minutes, and a backyard with a fire pit and an abandoned VW van. This place was pretty cool, except for the drug dealers that kept encouraging us to go buy some cocaine. After this bar, we went to a super-crowded wine bar, then to a really posh bar with padded leather couches and fancy chandeliers. Along the way a group of Ausies joined us, and they were way more out of control than any of the Americans. Case in point, on the way to bar four, an underground dance bar, an Ausie fell down the steps with a beer bottle in his hand, sliced his hand open, bled all over the bar, went and found Andy because he took a liking to him and kept asking him for a band-aid. We ditched most of the Ausies at bar 4 when we continued on to bar 5, a legit disco right across the street from our hostel. I really enjoyed ending the night to a German techno dance party. I never really got why everyone called Berlin's nightlife bizarre, but it is definitely varied and fun!
Day 2 we were taken on the best walking tour of our trip. Andy and I had this awesome guide named George from Missouri who was animated and really passionate about German history. We saw such fascinating places as the Reichstag, the Berlin wall, Checkpoint Charlie, the holocaust memorial, the location of Hitler's bunker, and of course, the hotel where Michael Jackson dangled baby Blanket out the window. After the tour, me, Andy, and our roommates from Prague went to this museum called the Pergamon which has the gates of Ishtar from the Babylonian gardens and this ancient altar from Turkey. It wans't as cool as we thought it was going to be, but I can now say I've seen one of the ancient wonders of the world. Afterwards we roamed around some cool side streets before heading back to our hostel, where we had to load all of our belongings for the next leg of our trip: Amsterdam.

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento